MeToo Pakistan International ICC Awards or Indian Awards? Many players performed better than the nominated ones

ICC Awards or Indian Awards? Many players performed better than the nominated ones



International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced the nominees for awards of the decade depending on the performance in the previous decade (2011-2020). According to ICC, the awards nominations committee has shortlisted the players according to their on-field performances during the period 1st January 2011 to 7th October 2020.

Seven players are nominated in men’s categories, six players in women’s and associate categories while Spirit of cricket nominees are the winners of the previous spirit of cricket awards during 2011 and 2019.

It seems that ICC is favouring Indian and some extent cricketers. Many deserving players with exceptional performances throughout the decade have been ignored. Only two Pakistani cricketers (Misbah-ul-Haq & Yasir Shah) have been nominated for ICC awards of the decade.

Fan’s voting

ICC has introduced an online voting method. Fans’ voting will contribute 10% and an expert penal will make up the remaining 90%. ICC Spirit of Cricket Award of the Decade will be 100% selected through fans’ voting.

India has the highest numbers of cricket lovers in the world and their voting is directly going to affect the result especially in the Spirit of Cricket category. ICC’s decision has once again proved that ICC = Indian Cricket Council.

AN Cook

Cook from England is the highest test in a decade. He scored 8,818 runs with 60 fifty+ scores. ICC has not nominated Cook in any category. Indian Cricketer Virat Kohli is nominated in the men’s test category who has scored 7,202 runs with only 49 fifty+ scores.

Saeed Ajmal

Pakistani spinner Saeed Ajmal has taken 157 ODI, 66 T20I wickets, and 160 test wickets. His overall record in ODI and T20I is better than that of Ashwin’s. Ajmal is the 6th highest wicket-taker in T20I and 8th in ODI while Ashwin is not in any top 10 list except test where he stands at 5th number. But still, ICC nominated Ashwin instead of Saeed Ajmal.

Muhammed Hafeez

Similarly, the Professor of cricket, Muhammed Hafeez has performed excellently throughout the decade. He has 2,975 runs and took 49 wickets in Tests, 5,740 runs and 101 wickets in ODIs, and 1,726 runs and 47 wickets in T20I.

Chris Gayle has scored 1,173 T20I runs only but nominated in the T20I category. Similarly, MS Dhoni has scored fewer runs in ODI than Hafeez but is nominated in the ODI category.

Tim Southee

Tim Southee from New Zealand is the only player in the top 10 wicket-takers in each format. He has 255 Test wickets, 156 ODI, and 64 T20I wickets. The nomination of Ashwin in presence of Tim Southee has put a question mark on ICC’s fare selection.

Babar Azam

Babar Azam crossed 1400 T20I runs in the decade with an excellent average of 50.17 despite he debuted in 2016 and played only 36 matches.  Babar had been at no. 1 spot during 2018 and 2019. Babar is not nominated however he has the best average and more fifty-plus runs than nominated Aaron Finch and Chris Gayle. Babar has scored more T20I runs than the nominated Chris Gayle.

Hamiza mukhtar admitted that “She never had any relationship with Babar”

Nominations by countries.

India: 11 

Australia: 11

Pakistan: 02

Sri Lanka: 05

South Africa: 03

Afghanistan: 01

New Zealand: 05

England: 05

West Indies: 04

Indian player Virat Kohli (Player of decade, Test, T20I, ODI, & Spirit of cricket) has been nominated more than the entire teams of Pak, RSA, SL, ENG, WI, and NZ. 

Leave a Reply